THE REDUCETARIAN SOLUTION:
How the Surprisingly Simple Act of Reducing the Amount of Meat in Your Diet Can Transform Your Health and the Planet
Edited by Brian Kateman With a Foreword by Mark Bittman
Did you know that eating meat can contribute to global warming? A study conducted by the University of Minnesota calculated that eating more plant-based proteins could reduce greenhouse gas emissions by up to 55%. In addition, eating less meat and more whole, plant-based foods is a key lifestyle habit that unites the people living to 100 and beyond in regions called Blue Zones, hotspots of longevity. So to save the planet and ourselves, should everyone become vegan? The solution needn’t be so black and white.
In THE REDUCETARIAN SOLUTION: How the Surprisingly Simple Act of Reducing the Amount of Meat in Your Diet Can Transform Your Health and the Planet, Brian Kateman introduces the term reducetarian as someone who is simply committed to eating less meat and who is proactively reducing their consumption.
This new book is a compilation of more than seventy essays from thought leaders across many disciplines on the concept of reducetarianism, edited and curated by Kateman, co-founder of The Reducetarian Foundation, with a foreword by New York Times-bestselling author Mark Bittman. Contributions include:
- “Tricked!” by Seth Godin
- “How Taking a Holiday from Meat Can Save You Dough” by Paul Shapiro
- “The Inner Lives of Farmed Animals” by Jacy Reese and Peter Singer
- “Seeking the Optimal Diet to Maximize Disease Reversal and Longevity” by Joel Fuhrman
- “Meatless Monday: One Day a Week, Cut Out Meat” by Sid Lerner
- “Wisdom from Margaret Mead” by Bee Wilson
The essays focus on how our food choices affect our minds, bodies and the planet in profound ways. THE REDUCETARIAN SOLUTION also features forty easy and delicious vegan, vegetarian, and reduced-meat recipes from international award-winning cookbook writer and renowned chef Pat Crocker, such as:
- Buffalo Cauliflower (gluten-free, with a vegan option)
- Cheesy Apple Pancakes
- Lettuce Wraps (gluten-free, vegan) with Parma Ham Crisps (flex option)
- Slow Cooked Moroccan Carrot Soup (gluten-free, vegan)
- Soba Noodles with Pistachio Leeks (vegan) with Scallops (flex option)
Becoming a reducetarian will help reduce both our chances of heart disease and also reduce our carbon footprint.
All proceeds from the book’s sale will go to The Reducetarian Foundation. Learn more at www.reducetarian.org.