THE ANATOMY OF A GREAT CHANGE AGENT
By Ralph Masengill Jr., author of “Conquer Change and Win”
On Big Blend Radio Ralph Masengill Jr. discusses the many qualities and skills of a good change agent, as covered in his latest book, “Conquer Change & Win: An Easy-to-Read Fun Book on the Serious Subject of Change.”
A great change agent has many qualities; however, the most important is that he or she is a leader. Good change agents know where they are weak, and they find other team leaders to pick up the slack. Only a great change agent can make a winning change management team. A great change agent understands the skill of team building.
The true change agent wears many hats and must have many qualities and skills. Here are some of them (in no particular order) as covered in-depth in my book “Conquer Change and Win”:
- An abundance of patience.
- Respect and trust from those he or she is about to lead into change.
- Knowledge of change and how to implement it.
- The ability to accept responsibility for his or her actions.
- Good listening skills.
- The ability to think outside the box.
- Belief in the process.
- Willingness to stick to the goal and see it accomplished.
- Good sales skills.
- Good negotiating skills.
- The ability to make changes to an already-established change plan.
- Willingness to take all the time necessary to reach the vision of the change plan.
- Leadership by example.
- Knowledge of how to form relationships.
- Energy from being with others.
- High integrity.
- The ability to work well with all levels—from the hourly worker to top management.
- The ability to inspire others.
- Leadership experience.
- The understanding that all change causes an emotional response of some kind.
- A positive attitude.
- Knowledge that change plans do not end when the change is in place.
- Acknowledgment that change management is a people business.
- Good preparation.
- A great sense of timing.
- Good delegation skills.
- A team-player mind-set. The change agent understands and promotes the team concept.
- A strong understanding of human nature and knowledge of what to expect.
- The ability to be hard-nosed when the situation calls for it.
- A good sense of humor.
Ralph Masengill Jr. is a best-selling author and award-winning advisor, coach, marketing expert, business consultant and public relations strategist. His latest, and ‘must-read’ book is “Conquer Change and Win: An Easy-to-Read Fun Book on the Serious Subject of Change.” www.ConquerChangeandWin.com